Monday, November 9, 2009

World War II Memorial, (Just in Time For Veterans Day)

One of the reasons we rushed through Florence was so we could see the WWII Memorial near Florence. As I was here I thought of my 2 grandfathers and Justin's grandfather who served this country in WWII. Those must have been difficult times and I am sure their memories are lasting and have changed them forever. How grateful I am for their service and the Freedoms I currently enjoy. Veterans Day is in a few short days, thank you for your service.

As I was here I also thought of those who are currently serving our country. As a military family I have seen the effects deployment can have on families and on soldiers.It's a sacrifcie for the soldier to put themselves in harms way and to leave their spouses and children. I have seen mothers weep for their husbands and struggle through their own battles. I am also grateful for those who are currently serving our country. Thank you.



This wall was covered with names and the State of servicemembers who served our country and gave their lives during World War II



It was a beautiful fall day and the changing leaves were beautiful


Our children didn't recogonize this as a sacred memorial rather as a playground. However, I am sure our Grandfather's would rejoice in seeing their children enjoying the Freedoms that they fought for.

Each one of these crosses represented a Christian Service Member and each Star of David represents a Jewish Service Member who gave their life for our country.

To me each one of these memorials represented more then just a single person, but a family. Parents, siblings, a spouse or children who also sacrificed.

4 comments:

skyfighter said...

What a lovely post!

likeschocolate said...

oops skyfighter is also me. My son has an account and I did not realize he was signed in.

JasonBingham said...

wow, your good

Tyra said...

Nice post! What a gorgeous family photo.