Friday, November 6, 2009

Volterra, Italy

Volterra was my favorite town on this vacation. I loved the quiet ambiance. This felt like Tuscany. There were tourists, but not so many that it took away from this towns charm. I would go back in a heartbeat.
Above is the theatre built 10 BC. Behind the theatre are the remains of the Roman baths. The theatre sits on the edge of town at the bottom of the hill. The Volterans dumped their garbage on this site and eventually it was forgotten. In 1950 it was rediscovered.
At the Information Booth we found a little map to trace the steps of Bella in the book Twillight. We traced her steps and couldn't resist.


Jason and Stacy went to a Crime and Punishment Museum, we didn't find it appropriate for our girls. However, Keanna did pull a great, "I'm scarred and sad" face in front of this TIME OUT chair.

One of the reasons I LOVED Volterra is that is wasn't over touristy. You could still see the locals going about their day. It was fun to see the children riding around on this school bus.This is the clock tower in the main plaza. For those TWILLIGHT fans this is the plaza that Bella ran through to get to Edward. In the book it was crowded, but on the day we visited it was the perfect spot for an afternoon Siesta.


Emily, Justin and Lyndi standing in front of the Porta all'Arco the stones are 4th century BC. The circular things on the gate once were heads dating back to the 1st century BC. During WWII the Nazi's were going to blow up this arch to slow the Allied advance. However, the locals dismantaled the gate, secured its entrance and saved this arch.


walking up the streets of Volterra

I love it when my kids will pose for me, it doesn't always happen, but when it does I enjoy the moment.


I was able to convince Keanna to take a picture with me, but it does appear that she was trying to escape my grip.

Jason and Stacy

Volterra is on top of a hillside. As we walked up the hill we had some great views of the rooftops.

I just liked this fountain

The countryside was stunning. Most pictures I have seen of Tuscany have been summer photos, but the changing leaves during the fall is still breath taking.

I love our double stroller

We were stopped observing something. Lyndi began picking at this bush, adorable.

The girls would hold Stacy's hand at any given opportunity. At one point during the vacation Stacy was holding a book in one hand and holding Jasons hand. Keanna was a little upset that she wasn't holding Stacys hand, she and I had a little talk.

4 comments:

Tara and Josh said...

Wow! I absolutely loved this post. What a beautiful area! And the pictures felt so real and "untouristy." Justin, did you read the Twilight books or did Emily have to help you on that vampire pose?
Josh

likeschocolate said...

It looks like you found yourself a vampire. Weren't Katie and Tom married in Volterra! I adore Italy!

Daisha said...

Amazing! Do you ever feel like you're living in a dream? Happy Belated birthday to Keanna!

JasonBingham said...

Great post, that was a nice place. Justin, I love the Edward pose.