Thursday, November 5, 2009

Venizia, Italy

One of the best treats of this entire trip was having Jason and Stacy to travel with. They were not only delightful, but very helpful. They can travel with us ANYTIME!


We had a quick family friendly stop at Venice. 1500 years ago Venice emerged as a refuge from Barbarians. "The canal is the remnant of a river that once spilled from the mainland into the Adriatic. The sediment is carried formed barrier islands that cut Venice off from the sea, forming a lagoon. Venice was built on the marshy isalnds of the former delta, sitting on pilings driven nearly 15 feet into the clay (Rick Steves)."


Our little family in St. Marks Square


Pinocchio was a child time favorite. Unfortunatley there wasn't anything in this store that I wanted. I guess I will just have to buy the movie.




Keanna, Stacy, Ayla, Justin, Lyndi and Jason riding our version of the Gondola the Vaporetto (aka public transportation)




I loved the less crowded streets of Venice, this is how I imagine the locals living long, long ago.


We visited Venice on the day of a marathon. If I were to ever run a marathon, I think Venice would be the place.

Awh Venice.

Lyndi is taking a little break next to the water fountain by St. Marks Square

A perfect picture view from on top of the Rialto Bridge . You can see some of the palaces that once made this the richest cities in the world. Many of these buildings are rotting and left vacant. However, due to local law the buildings are protected and left for the onlooker to appreciate.


3 comments:

JasonBingham said...

Nice post, wow, when we get to our 'Day 5 - Venizia' we will just refer to your blog. Sooooo fun to see you guys. Girls love the hats and outfits.
later
jas

likeschocolate said...

I love venice! My favorite place on this earth.

Tara and Josh said...

I can not believe they were running a marathon the day you were there. I suppose it made a tight place even tighter!