Monday, November 9, 2009

Cinque Terre

This picture is a little out of place sorry. On our vineyard walk we stopped at this cemetery.Napoleon declared that cemetery's were a health risk, so this cemetery was found on a cliff out of town. Each space has an alotted amount of time and then was moved.

Cinque Terre the "Five Lands" are each placed along the shorelines of the Italian Riviera. These 5 tiny communities came about as a source of protection from Turkish Pirates up until 1400's. Pirates would come raid these communities kidnapping locals and selling them into slavery. After the raids ceased these communities prospered on fishing and vineyards. These five towns were isolated from each other up until the train line was put in 1920s.


We started out in the town of Riomaggiore we spent our time here enjoying the ocean and the scenry.

This fruit looked so fresh and delicious


It was fun to see the fisherman still working and carrying loads of equipment








We began our hike to the next town Manarola. This trail was one of the first to be established between towns. Keanna and I are standing at Via dell'Amore which is the lovers meeting point betwen the 2 cities. Notice all the padlocks surrounding this area. Thanks to Pop Culture, lovers now close a padlock together, as a symbol of loving each other forever.




Luckily this first trail was very stroller friendly.


Lyndi and I in the Piazza of Manarola. We stopped and had a little lunch break here.





We took this walk up the hill to see the Vineyards it was amazing. It seemed that there were plots of land up on this hill,divided amongst people. Persoonally, I might get a little uneasy doing all my gardening so high up.



Darling Keanna and Ayla, but you can also see the Garden Plot below them.

We were on our way to the 3rd town Corniglia



I saw this flower as we hiked up the vineyards, its beautiful. I have never seen a flower like it.


Justin and the girls were anxious to go for a little swim. The water was warmer the expected. I wish I would have brought my swimming suit.
We were a little sad that we didn't get to see Vernazza and Monterossso al Mare, but I wouldn't change the day, it was wonderful. Sometimes during travels we worry to much about seeing, that we forget to enjoy. On this day we didn't see it all, but we certainly enjoyed every minute.

4 comments:

Daisha said...

We have flowers very similar to that one here in VA . . . beautiful huh!

Tara and Josh said...

Those towns looked awesome. Justin, I noticed you have some nice running shoes on - but they look like they are in need of some use:)

likeschocolate said...

Now I am jealous! I have wanted to go to this place forever, but just haven't had the chance. Great photos!

Leah said...

I loved that cemetary too! (I know that's a big surprise, coming from me) I think we need to start planning our trip back some day sans children. I'm glad you hiked some of it, I wish we had done that. BTW- did you get Lightroom?