Saturday, November 24, 2007

Hofkirche (Cathedral)


Dresden is a stronghold of local-boy Martin Luther Protestant Reformation. When King Augustus the II died, his son wanted to be the ruler of Poland. The Pope would only allow Augustus the III to become King if he built a catholic church in Dresden. Its difficult to see but a passageway connects the church to the castle walls so the King would not have to walk with commoners. The church is to the right in this picture.
As we walked into the church we heard the most beautiful chorus of a choir. As we looked to see where the music came from Justin said he was almost dissapointed because he thought for sure he would have seen angels singing. We sat for awhile listening to the beautiful music. I was kicking myself for not paying attention in High School when my choir teacher, Mr. Bentley, quized us on style and technique. I had thought it would be good to have my brother Matt and his wife here to help sort things out for me. However, I did recogonize a familiar phrase "AgnusDei." PS sorry about the picture we couldn't use our flash.

No comments: