Thursday, July 10, 2008

Biking Alpi Di Susi, Day 3

This is the mountain Alpi Di Susi, we took a tram up into the middle of these. Wow!







The beauty of these mountains just kept expanding. We decided to rent some bikes for the day and enjoy the beauty up close. We had a wonderful day full of memories and laughter.


The girls crammed into the wagon




Mom on the bike trail


These are such adorable pictures of my family with such a beautiful view.






I know a lot of pictures, I just couldn't choose.






I love these pictures of my girls











Our ride was so beautiful. We loved the view and the girls loved the flowers. The girls had a variety of wildflowers to pick. Many of these flowers were unique to us, because they only grow at very high altitudes.

The kids are packed tightly into the wagon, breaks are needed and well deserved. What could be better then throwing rocks into a stream.





Ayla says "fthwee, fthwee, nine, fthwee, go" (this is her countdown to throw a rock).




We started up the gravel trail up the mountain. Much to our dismay the rain clouds had little mercy on us. Luckily, the wagon had a waterproof flap. Justin and I weren't quite as lucky and we were successfully drenched.



Most were coming downhill as we were creeping up hill. Most were equiped with rain jackets and super power hiking boots. Many would exclaim (in their native language) "2 kids, look two kids." We must have looked ridiculous, wet, unprepared and with 2 kids. I am sure they thought we were just stupid Americans. Maybe so, but it was fun.








We finally made it to the top, our refugee. This included a park, resturaunt, Tirol Yodelers, a great view ,grazing cows and goats on the mountain side. the kids played at the park while Mom and Dad rested.
Just imagine sitting here, with this view, with family and the yodelers. Wow!

We did it!!!

Here are a few pictures of Keanna she sure knows how to turn on the charm




We were excited for our ride down. After all that hard work we thought this would be the payback. In actuality it was a little scary. The trails were really steep and the rain turned into thunder and lightning. I was on top of a little hill and I heard and saw the thuder and lightning nearly at the same time, I was terrified. Here I am wet, on a metal bike on top of a hill. What would my kids do without a mother?







Luckily, we found a little shelter to stop at until the thunder and lightning passed. It was amazing to see the fog rolling on the ground as we glided through it.



After turning in our bikes we walked quickly to the tram to find out the storm had damaged the tram and we would be unable to ride it back, instead we would ride a bus. 2 buses came and left before we were agressive enough to shove our way onto one. Living in Europe, we are learning to be much more agressive. What a wonderful day.

5 comments:

mariann and Tory said...

How fun! I am impressed that you rode all that way up hill! That is a work out! How long did it take to bike up there?

Daisha said...

Sounds awesome and it's so pretty!

Natalie said...

I love it! That is quite the adventure!

Tanner Family Blog said...

Seriously, I feel like you live in a movie! It's like you are famous and the pictures are so amazing they must be computer generated! And then to show yourself soaked...gives is so much real drama! haha.
I love the pictures of the girls! They are so cute...I wish I could hear Ayla's little voice counting down!
I also LOVE the music!

Tanner Family Blog said...

Justin,
WOW! you guys are my heroes. I can't imagine us ever being so adventurous. Justin's expression with the map is classic. I'm glad you sent so many pics.
We ran into a temple worker in the Salt Lake Temple with the last name of Bingham, and asked him if he knew your family...he said, "oh, yeah, and they all look up to me." He was probably 98 years old and I didn't see any family resemblance!?????
Nathan