Friday, March 28, 2008

Reichstag Building

Next on our Berlin tour, we move to the German Parlimant Building.
The Reichstag was built in 1890 by the last emperor. Here the German republic was proclaimed in 1918. It really hasn't been used from 1933 to 1999 when it finally became the Parliament house.



Here is Justin and the girls in the glass coupla, it rises 155 feet above the ground. We walked up a ramp way that was 755 feet to the top.
Here is a "not so good" picture from mid way up the dome.
Above is a memorial to those who opposed Hitler. There are 96 slats of rock with a name on each one. Every slat represented a politician who was persecuted or murdered because their political beliefs didn't coincide with Hitlers.
Does anyone recognize this picture. HINT look at the chocolate blog.

2 comments:

Jason and Stacy Bingham said...

WOW!! What a fun trip. I hear your going to London next. How fun!! I love the chocolate factory!! We've been gone for spring break but Jason kept asking me if I have checked you blog. I am afraid our update is not as exciting. We are looking into other options of dates when we can come so we will keep you posted. We miss you guys!
Love
The Binghams

Austin said...

I actually recognized the parliament building from a Globetrekker episode I watched (before I even saw the chocolate version). They said you could watch the goings on of parliament from above, sort of symbolic as a departure from the dictatorial past. I'm envious of you guys. I can't wait to visit.