Saturday, April 24, 2010

Paris Day 3

We started out the morning by going to Sainte-Chapelle. I couldn't get a good picture from the outside, but the inside was incredible. This gothic church was built 1242 to 1248 for Louis IV. The downstairs was nothing spectacular, but you walk up the stairs and the stain glass windows were amazing. The entire room was stain glass windows from top to bottom. Each window had a different scene from the Bible. Starting from the bottom to the top you could see a story in the scriptures, there are more than 1,100 scenes. These windows were how they could learn the different scriptural stories.It was incredible.
The next stop was Notre Dame over 700 years old. A funny story... On this building there are 28 statues known as the King of Judah. During the French Revolution they were all beheaded because the citizens thought they represented the French Kings. The heads have since all been replaced.

Below I am on a certain circle. The "circle of luck" if you will. Rumor has it, if you turn around on this circlular thing then you will most certainly return to Paris. I had to give it a try!



Notre Dame took over 200 years to build




Everyone but Leah's lovely shoes on that circular thing. Poor Leah was feeling sick and spent the day in bed.
In 1860 they reconstructed this building which created an opportunity to hike up the 300 feet and take some fun pictures of gargoyles
The Eiffel Tower from Notre Dame
We then strolled through a couple shopping areas before reaching the Louvre.
I realize that I didn't give the Louvre justice, but I stopped on saw the biggies! Maybe, someday I could go back with my sister and Mom and really enjoy the Louvre.
The Winged Victory of Samothrace is thought to be from 220 and 190 BC. I thought it was stunning. Placed at the top of the staircase with natural light surrounding it. Beautiful

The Mona Lisa. What is so famous about this painting?? It's her eyes. Wherever you go in the room she stares at you!


The marble Venus de Milo, the Greek goddess of Love and Beauty

After the Louvre we walked through this park to the Orangerie Museum. Claude Monet loved Paris so much that he painted these amazing water lillies for the city. This was my favorite place on the entire trip. The paintings were housed in 2 oval rooms 4 paintings in each room. It was amazing and I seriously had goose bumps on my arms.
I am now a fan of Impressionist Painting.

We then took a walk over the Seine River

There were hundreds of locks on the bridge

Next,, we went to the Orsay Museum which was housed in an old Train Station. It was an amazing building, but sadly they did not allow photography. I LOVED Edgar Degas's paintings. Especially the ballerina's in blue tutu's. For some reason they reminded me of my sister.


For dinner that night we ate at the Hard Rock Cafe. This was my first Hard Rock experience.


Well that's it, we had a spectacular trip. A big thanks to my amazing husband who watched the girls for me so I could enjoy a wonderful girls trip!

2 comments:

Tara and Josh said...

What an great experience you must have had in Paris! I am glad you made it home from Spain finally.
Josh

likeschocolate said...

I guess even someone like me who has traveled so much can learn something new. I had never heard of the circle of luck though I have been to Notre Dame Twice. I am so jealous. I have always wanted to go to Spain. Had you planned to stay 15 days or where you stuck there because of the volcano. If so, what a lucky place to get stuck.