Sunday, August 31, 2008

A big decision

Keanna went to an American preschool (put on by my friend) for the month of August. I was suprised how much she grasped, just within a couple weeks. Every day, she wants to write something, count to 100, or do something educational.

We have contimplated for a long time wether or not to put Keanna into Kindergarten this year. She barely makes the deadline, and would be the youngest in her class. I had decided that it wasn't a good idea and considered other options.

German Kindergarten- last year was not the best experience, she became very negative towards the German culture and she made it very clear, she didn't want to go back.

American Preschool- We have been on the waiting list since April. On Thursday, I talked with the preschool coordinator to see if she would be able to get in. It was clear she wasn't going to get into the preschool, I was nearly in tears as I left the building.

Home School- For some reason things get a "little heated" when I try to become Keanna's teacher. The other day we had a pointed conversation that went like this

"Keanna, do yo listen to Mrs. Morris when she teaches you?"
"Yes."
"Keanna, do you listen to me, when I try to teach you?"
"No"
"why not?"
"Your not my teacher."

I don't know how all those Mom's home school their kids, I don't think I could do it.

We needed to make a very difficult decision. Justin and I have been thinking and praying about this for some time. I have studied this matter out, and I was convinced that this would be a terrible decision. I have been afraid of her being the youngest, is she emotionally mature enough, would their be other "good kids" for her to play with? I was sure that it would be in her best intrest to hold her back for one year.

Justin and I discussed and prayed about the situation, and realized for some strange reason, putting her in Kindergarten would be a good thing for Keanna. I don't know what will happen in the future, I think we will have to take her education one year at a time.

On Friday, we registerd her for Kindergaren, met with her teacher, went shopping for school clothes and school supplies. It was a big day. She has been excited, I have been a little sad. Keanna has begun the countdown, I have begun to cry to Justin about loosing my baby. I guess she is ready and I am not.

9 comments:

mariann and Tory said...

That is a big decision! Good for you guys for praying and following the lead! How awesome it will be for her to say that she went to a German kindergarden!? She will sound so cool!

Daisha said...

She'll do great emily!

Tara and Josh said...

Keanna is only 2.5 months younger than Michone was when she went to kindergarten. Michone did just fine but I had a difficult time letting her go. They definitely mature another step as they enter the school yard. Michone struggled some socially during the early years but has definitely caught up and is doing terrific. The hard thing will be when she graduates at age 17 and off to college! YIKES!! I just keep thinking, she will barely have 2 years of dating under my stern eye!
I think she will handle this very well and it will be a nice time for Ayla to get some one and one time. Enjoy!

MattnBeck said...

It's fun and scary all at the same time! Good luck!

Steve, Kristine, Cole, Kade said...

Hey Emily! You must be spending too much time talking to the indecisive McLean family! I am glad that you went with your gut! She will do just fine - no worries - good decision.

likeschocolate said...

I had the same experience trying to teach my boys at home. It caused too much contention, so I stopped because I didn't want learning to be a negative experience. Yes, I do not know how those home school moms do it. My hats is off to them. When we sent Winston to Kindergarten in Switzerland the first couple of weeks were hard, but by the end he loved it. Good Luck! I hope she has a really great experience.

likeschocolate said...

Yes, we are back in the states. We got home on Sunday. Yesterday, was a nightmare with putting everything away, buying school supplies, and stocking the frig. However, I survived and now I am off to take the boys to school. Desserts were not what brought us to Switzerland. My husband did a job exchange for the summer, so the boys would have the opportunity to speak German since he is German. He just wasn't able to get Germany this time. I think it is easier sending boys off to school then girls because they are just so active you want them to find a place for all that energy. Good luck! Before you know it she will be speaking German and you will be so jealous because she picked it up so fast.

Tyra said...

She is so social--she will be fine in kindergarten. Boys are less mature than girls so she will still be ahead of all of them.

McAllister Family said...

Good for you guys for praying about it and then following the prompting you received. Now you just have to trust that feeling and not look back. Keanna will do great in kindergarten!