Wednesday, September 3, 2008

First day of Kindergarten

On Tuesday Keanna had her first day of Kindergarten! She was really excited as she got ready in the morning. We arrived at school and she confidently walked ahead of me, ready to get to her class.

That confidence began to dwindle as she watched all the other kids wait for the first bell to ring. Thankfully, her friend Hailey, from church, is in her class. In this picture I asked the girls to smile. Keanna barely moved her mouth to produce this little grimace.


Lining up for class

Keanna waiting for class to start.
I did a good job keeping myself together, but when I turned my back to the school,the tears started to come. I cried the entire drive home, and allowed myself all the snuggle time I could get with Ayla.

2:30 could not arrive soon enough. I was really anxious to see how her day went. As I approached her, she seemed a little down. I nervously asked how her day went, and she said it was a bad day! I couldn't believe it!
When we got home, she told me exactly why it was a bad day. She fell down at recess and hurt her knee, and a boy was annoying her. We sat on the porch for 30 minutes and I listened to her day. As she talked, she seemed a little more upbeat and by the end of the conversation, I thought it was probably not a BAD DAY, but just a few annoying things happened.
When Justin got home he also asked about her day, I wasn't in the room. She told Justin it was a great day and proceeded to tell him about the cafeteria and the Big Park.
I wondered why she would tell me one story and tell Justin another???
All 3 of us where in the same room and Justin asked her again
"how was your day?"
she looked at me and said "it was a bad day."
Justin- "You just told me it was a good day."
Keanna- "Oh, I was just teasing."
Justin- "You told Mommy you had a bad day?"
Keanna- "I was just teasing you Mom, I had a good day."

6 comments:

Steve, Kristine, Cole, Kade said...

Yahooooooo! School has started! She will love it and you will love it - I promise you!

Tyra said...

I am glad she had a good/bad day!!! That is so kids for you--they can't decide which it really is. She is growing up so fast.
.

mariann and Tory said...

I think she told you she had a bad day so that she wouldn't make you feel bad that she might like school. Does that make any sense? We have one of these kids at our house where they will tell you what they think you want to hear so they don't hurt your feelings...she might be doing that. At least you know that she had a good time.

Adam/Regina said...

Calvin just had his first day too! I know exactly how you feel, we went back and forth a ton on what to do this year. We said a lot of prayers. We finally decided on doing half and half. We are doing Kindergarten (Calvin really wanted to go) but we have also joined a homeschooling co-op that I think is going to be great. I don't think I could have ever let Calvin go if it weren't for the fact that it's only two and a half hours long. I'm having a hard time even adjusting to that. How many kids are in her class?

Jason and Stacy Bingham said...

Aughh the joys of them learning to carry on a conversation. I remember going through the same thing with Sierra. At least Keanna told you about her day. I would ask Sierra how her day was. She would answer, "Good." I would ask, "What did you do?" To which she would reply, "I don't know." It has come a little way since then, but not a lot.
Stacy

McAllister Family said...

That is so funny that she gave you both different stories.
Isn't it so hard to let go and let them go to school? Kristen's first day was really hard for me too. But now I am realizing how good it is to have time with Michelle. She never got the time alone with me that Kristen did. So, it's a good thing, but still hard to see our babies growing up!