Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Finally, a Romantic Getaway!

I had successfully managed to be a single Mom for one week, one more week to go! I missed him. Since childhood, dreaming has been one of my strong points, and this lonely week with out my husband was no different. I could almost smell the salty air, feel the sun beat upon my back as I casually took a swim in the pool beside the ocean. Or maybe... I would play in the waves... I allowed my thoughts to consume me until I realized that maybe... I could make this dream my reality, Brilliant!



In a moment I was on the phone, I had successfully secured a babysitter for the long Labor Day weekend. I spent the next 3 hours looking for my fabulous vacation spot and then searching for the perfect place to stay. It was late and I was tired, but my mission was complete! I e-mailed Justin a short itinerary.



Palma De Mallorca Spain!!!We were thrilled at the thought of a Romantic Vacation in a beautiful area!!! Dreams really do come true!




A weekend on the beach would require me to undergo my first bikini wax!! This is considered a modern form of torture. I was able to endure the pain with a clear picture of the beach in my mind drinking a virgin pina colada.


The vacation was getting closer and I had a few more chores that needed to be completed.I wrote a long detailed itinerary for my babysitter. This included a detailed description of my childrens bath time, bed time, daily activities and possible solutions to their occasional ill behavior. A shopping cart was filled with easy bake foods and easy bake cookies.

Agonizing over what I should wear on this weekend getaway, I decided a trip to the store was necessary. Long sweaters, and jeans, would be inappropriate for a romantic getaway such as this.

Besides, officially packing, I had one last important detail to iron out in the next day. Our good car, would stay with the babysitter, we would ride the train to the airport. The airlines offered a special deal on a fly and rail pass! It would take a simple call to get a great deal on our rail pass.

Someone from the airlines picked up the phone immediately! I asked
"spreckensie English?"
He replied in a warm caramelized voice "yes, I do." Splendid!!!

We continued our conversation and I explained my desire for the "Rail and Fly" plan. He was quiet for a moment and then replied

"I think you made an error in the flight itinerary."

My reaction was that of confusion "excuse me?"

"Do you have the itinerary in front of you?"

I quickly scrolled through my confirmation page where the dates were shown and in bouts of laughter I exclaimed
"no way!!!"

and this is was I saw

29/8/2009 to 1/9/2009

Exactly, how dumb could one be!!! In all of my excitement in planning I must have overlooked a key point THE YEAR we would be traveling!


With out much luck we searched for a new flight plan with the correct dates, and sadly hung up the phone. Initially, I laughed off the pain of a crushed dream. Now, I contemplate exactly how I'm going to break the news to Justin!


12 comments:

All the Cousins! said...

Emily, you kill me! Gosh, I miss you. The anticipation of looking forward to that for another whole year will make it one heck of a trip!

Tanner Family Blog said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I am so sorry - and I second Marlena's comment! I was getting so excited for you as I read along...I didn't see that one coming!
I can't believe you can go to Spain for what you call a "weekend getaway!" So even if you can't make it happen this year...just the thought that you could makes me a little jealous!
Let me know what you decide to do!
We are going to Eugene for our Labor Day weekend...with all the kids...driving...doesn't that sound romantic?? NOT!!!

Jaime said...

Emily,
That is not good at all, wouldn't they let you pay a little more and change the dates??? I love keeping up with your family's fun adventures through your blog. I am going to put a link on my blog to yours if that is okay!? Hopefully Justin takes the news of "waiting" for your trip well!

Natalie said...

That is heartbreaking! I'm sad for you! Maybe you can keep your babysitter and stay somewhere closer to home (it's still a get-away if the kids aren't with you)! :)

Krista S said...

That is the saddest story. I hate when things don't work out. Hopefully you guys can plan something else til next year rolls around:)!! Good luck!

Daisha said...

I'm not even sure what to say :( I hope you can find something else fabulous to do instead!

Carina said...

Did you actually get the bikini wax! If so I think you deserve to be on a beach, or at least in a swim suit! I'm sure you can find a cool place to stay!

Daisha said...

Yes, cole is growning his hair out. . . it's getting crazy now. He is growing it out so he can cut a mullet for his next band gig in early october. He's just hoping that he deosn't get any interviews before the show and that all his growing out will have gone to waste! oh, an in response to ean earylier question - cole is actually on break in between summer & fall - he's out unitl sept 29th :) Last time in our lives that this will happen!!

Tyra said...

I am so sad for you!!! I can't believe that. The anticipation will definitely build for the trip by next year. Something to look forward to.

mariann and Tory said...

I can't believe you had to endure a bikini wax for that!!! I am sooo sad for you!! I am sooo sorry!!!

Marnie said...

Emily,
I am so sad to hear about the date mix up. Kevin and I did that once with professional sporting tickets. When you do get to go next year, you will LOVE Mallorca. Be sure to rent a car and explore the northern villages! That was our favorite part of the island.

McAllister Family said...

Someday that will be really funny. At the time, I'm sure it wasn't so funny. What a bummer!