Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Dubrovnik, Croatia

500 years ago Dubrovnik was a bustling town rich from salt trade and boat making. It flourished in the 15th and 16th century and in 1667 was destroyed by an earthquake. It was then re-built in Baroque Style.
In June of 1991 Dubrovnik violently seperated from Yugoslavia. October 1st at 6:00 AM the citizens awoke to bombings on nearby hillsides. Intially, the bombings were concentrated on the outskirts of the city, but they soon started bombing the Old City. Nobody expected Dubrovonik to be attacked and the citizens had to use what they had. The locals had to carry the supplies by foot or donkey up the hillside to the fort. After 8 months of bombing the Croatian Army liberated Dubrovnik, but without the losss of about 200 brave citizens. This was the first time the great walled city had been attacked and it survived quite well. Some might ask why bomb this beautiful city? Some believe that the Serbs wanted the Croatians to hurt and what better way then to attack their most prized city, Dubrovnik.

I am certainly glad this beautiful city survived.


Leah and I decided we wanted to enjoy some of the amazing seafood! While Leah and I ate lunch Justin and Rand decided to cliff jump into the Mediterranean. Justin did document this event and may decide to have a post dedicated to the jumps :)


I had to document my great mothering skills, I'm not as talented as you Marlena, but I am working on it .

Enjoying the Stradum Stroll

What a perfect ending to a great trip, it was nice and relaxing.

8 comments:

JasonBingham said...

Great post Emily,
I like the 'motherly' photo.
Justin, I am anxiously awaiting the cliff jumping post.
Good talking to you
Jason

Clark Family said...

Hey guys! Looks like you went on a fun cruise. They are such a blast. You are a very talented mother!

likeschocolate said...

This was my favorite city. It is so beautiful.

Tara and Josh said...

Thanks Emily. So I hope the flights are working out okay??
Justin, I am also anxiously waiting for the swan diving/cliffjumping post.

nickandhil'sfamily said...

Wow, it looks fantastic! I don't know who your friend is that has more mothering skills than that photo, because that looked mighty impressive! You guys make 3 look like a breeze, it gives me hope.

Jason and Stacy Bingham said...

Justin, are those PURPLE pants you are wearing??
Jas

Justin said...

Jason, you like the pants? I'm sure that I could find you a pair of these hot european pants and bring them back so you could wear them at the reunion. Actually they are my swimming trunks, I just finished scoring a 10 out of 10 dive into the Mediterranean Ocean the top wall of the old castle.--Justin

vickersfam said...

looks like a lovely trip, beautiful pics. I've not figured out the whole nursing while wearing the baby yet, hoping to master that skill with our 3rd. Maybe you could give me some tips. What carrier are you wearing in that pic anyway?