Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Playing Football in November with Uncle Rico

While still at dental school, I discovered that most Army bases have intramural flag football leagues. I was very excited. Last year I was unable to get on a team, but this year we assembled a team of several dentists, dental assistants, and a pharmacist. Our team captain takes football very seriously and ordered matching jerseys, socks, and wrist bands. Despite co-workers insisting that I might be a little too old, I played in the weekly games primarily as wide reciever. The first game was rough, and I ended up getting 3 stitches in the chin (the other guy had to get 8).

Despite being a little bit heavier now than I was 13 yrs ago (about 40 pounds), I still don't have a real intimidating presence.


Above is our team. After the regular season, we had playoffs--a double elimination tournament. We won the tournament and were invited to play in the US Army in Europe championship, which was in November. I was especially excited since playing football in November was always a goal way back in high school. It turns out that the tournament was during the work day and I was unable to play (yes, I did pout).


Keanna was so excited to see that I was given a Piston Cup when we won the championship.






It is a little sad now that I have to wait until next year to play again. I had a great time, and I feel a little bit like Uncle Rico (from Napolean Dynamite) when I think of how excited I was each week to run around and reminisce about the good times. Emily, however was quite pleased when the season was finally over.


It was fun to have uniforms, even though they looked a little too much like Powder's old rival, Cove. The uniform does seem to add a few pounds up top and decrease the overall athletic and youthful appearance of the player.






5 comments:

Tanner Family Blog said...

I'm just glad you only had stitches and didn't break your coccyx! I especially like the wrist band with the plays written on it - game on!! I went and played with the dentites once this fall, but was thoroughly ignored. It was a sad day to realise they all think I'm too old compete. Oh well...If only they had a high priest league...-Nathan

JasonBingham said...

Justin, Great pictures, you looks so tough, Emily must be impressed.
later

Tyson and Amanda said...

That was an awesome post. Those pics are great. I played on a volleyball team and it would have went a lot better if I could still jump over the net! Getting old stinks!

Leah said...

Hilarious Justin, to make you feel better you definitely weren't the oldest member of the team, although he did get injured and was out most of the season- maybe you guys need to do some "Spring Training" to prepare for next season.

Tara and Josh said...

You are right about the Cove uniforms! I especially like the bottom picture. Nice how the waist band on the sweats pushes out a little. I am sure it is just because it is loose.

Hope your busy time is still going okay.
Josh