Friday, May 9, 2008

Ear, Nose and Throat Doctor



"Why are you here?" the doctor asked. "Ayla has fluid in her ears. Her language is a litte behind and the audiologist wanted me to..." The doctor interrupted saying "That's enough."

I clenched Ayla's arms and held her head with my other arm. The doctor tried to look into Ayla's ears, but she wiggled out of my motherly headlock. The doctor mumbled "let me show you how" as he pried my legs open, stuffed Ayla in between, closed my legs and proceeded with the checkup.

After looking in Ayla's nose, ears and mouth and reviewing previous notes from the audiologist he stated "She needs surgery." "Surgery?" I asked. He then proceeded to tell me about enlarged adenoids. I left feeling a little confused: what exactly are adenoids, is the surgery necessary and what would an American doctor say?

Since this experience I have talked with our American family doctor and have read up on Adenoidectomy. I have realized that Ayla could really benefit from this surgery. It could help her hear and sleep better. I decided to follow the doctors advice and to stuff wet cotton into my ears, to experience how Ayla heard the world. Afterwards, I scheduled an appointment for the surgery.



's

9 comments:

Tanner Family Blog said...

Oh poor little Ayla! When is the surgery?? Do they do it on the base? I will call so we can talk about this. I hope you are OK - I am thinking about you guys!

Daisha said...

totally know how you feel!! Poor little thing. Are they going to put tubes in her ears too? Dom's speech improved was seemed like almost immediatly after he got tubes . . . best of luck.

MattnBeck said...

What a horrible story!!

"Let me show you how..." I just don't think I could help but be intimidated by a doctor acting so forcefully....sheesh.

Is HE going to be performing the surgery? Is he a german doctor or a base doctor? It just sounds so crazy.

Jen said...

Poor little girl. When is the surgery going to be?!? We will keep her in our prayers.

Tyson and Amanda said...

That stinks that she has to have surgery, but life will be so much better for her after! We get about 10 kids every thursday that get this surgery....this doc takes the tonsills out while she is there (which can be nice to have out and doesn't make the surgery any more complicated or scary) so you should talk to your doc about it. I hope all goes well with it!

M said...

Wow Em, sorry to hear about that. I am sure it will all turn out ok, just make sure to get lots of popsicles for her. How does Keanna feel about Ayla having surgery? It will be scary for her too.

Adam/Regina said...

wow Emily, I"m so sorry! I've never even heard of that! What exactly are adenoids anyway? Who first recommended that you get it checked out? Is that something that can't be seen by your regular pediatrician for some reason?

Jason and Stacy Bingham said...

Poor Ayla! Is it a simple surgery? We got Leslie a digital picture frame for Mother's Day and it was so slick to download your pictures off your blog. Thank you for doing your blog. We enjoy seeing what your up to.

McAllister Family said...

Poor baby....poor mommy too! I hope the surgery goes smoothly and the recovery is easy for sweet little Ayla!