Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Passau

Passau began as an ancient Roman colony. We began our day visiting the fortress on top of the hill. The Veste Oberhaus once housed the Bishop. There were a few attacks on this fortress from the citizens of Passau. They were also attacked by the Ottoman Empire.






We hiked up and down a few hills at this point. A red wolf is the symbol of Passau we had our girls keep their eyes open to help us identify all the red wolves.



During the Renaissance Period Passau was known for their sword making.










The main city of Passau is shaped kind of like a peninsula. Three rivers merge into one. In the above picture you can see the Danube. The Inn and Ilz also merge into one point.






Intresting fact: The Danube starts in the Bavarian Forest in Germany and ends in the Black Sea.


You can see the point of the rivers merging in this picture with me and my older girls.

Cooling off in a fountain in the middle of Passau

Wishing we had a dog.


There were sun dials all throughout town and I loved all the Baroque architecture.

St. Stephens has the largest organ outside the US and the largest cathedral organ in the world.

beautiful Baroque styled St. Stephens cathedral. I wish i had a picture from the outside with 3 beautiful onion shaped domes.

LOVED this bike

Someday soon I expect to be ridiculed for wearing these glasses


Passau has some great parks



yup i needed to adjust my aperature!!! I don't have photoshop so... you get what you get

3 comments:

JasonBingham said...

Hi Guys,
Finally got to thru some of your blog. Great pictures. The snake skin glasses are good too. So where was this place anyway?? In Germany?
See ya in 11 days, (weird) JB

ps, you were in the paper again, and the picture / ad looks great.

Jana said...

Those are amazing pictures! I'd love to go Germany in the summer.

Tara and Josh said...

Emily,
Those crazy glasses must help you see the pictures straight. I find myself tilting sideways when I read your blog. Good luck with the next week!
Josh