Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Long Waited Arrival!

Finally, after waiting for several very cold months, we received enough snow to actually play in. I have been excited to play with my girls outside in the snow.

Me and the girls in front of the snow cave we built. Keanna was a good helper and played outside for quite a while, but then wanted to go inside and confessed that she can't wait until spring.

With the help of some of the girls' playhouse and all of the snow in our front yard, we were able to make a cozy snow cave. While digging out the snow, I began to remember my experiences in snow caves as a Boy Scout and wondered if I could make it large enough to lay down in. Soon I became curious to see if I could trust my cave enough to stay the night in it. Once I was certain it wouldn't fall down on me, I then realized I needed to prove to myself that dentistry, Europe, and the big 30 hadn't made me so soft and delicate that I couldn't stay an entire night in my snow cave. After several days, I decided to give it a try.
Here I am emerging from the snow cave following my winter slumber. Although I slept okay, the above photo makes it clear that there wasn't much beauty rest going on inside the cave. I think it is cute that the girls were watching from the window, curious to see if I survived. The main problem I had was the lack of space for my 1 sleeping pad, 1 quilt, 2 pillows, and 3 sleeping bags.

Ayla was excited to ride her bike.

Keanna and Ayla in front of the snow cave. Keanna keeps asking me when we can both sleep in the snow cave.
By the way, Emily hasn't shown too much interest in spending much time in the snow cave. However, I think it might serve me well to have a "doghouse" just in case I say or do the wrong thing during these final days of the pregnancy.




4 comments:

Carina said...

I am so excited to see your new little girl! I hope you are feeling well and everything goes good.

Unknown said...

Okay..so this was so funny. I cannot believe Justin slept in there. I haven't even been tempted to do that here in MN. Brave soul....Emily..have that baby already would you? I cannot wait to see her. Love ya and miss ya. Michelle Lee

Tara and Josh said...

Justin - awesome snow cave, but it kind of looks to me like you slept in a dollhouse! I imagine it was a little cramped inside with all the padding and such. Good luck over the next few weeks!

JasonBingham said...

Justin, that cave look GREAT. I love the pictures. Congrat's on the new baby Lyndi. Good talking to you. The Klondike was this week, but our troop did not go. Beat Wallowa for the District title. Beat them by 10 49-39, a bit of a boring game. Both teams had a lot of turn overs.
later
Jason